Posted by Liz and John Attaway, 7/13/23
Soak Up All the Delectable Gems Found in the Summerhill Neighborhood
Summerhill has some exciting happenings this month to embrace the sizzling summer season. From new food destinations to back-to-school events, the highlights below are a sampling of what’s in store for July.
- Highly anticipated Southern National at Summerhill is now open for business. The new restaurant serves globally inspired cuisine that is rooted in “authentic Southern cuisine,” curated by chef Duane Nutter. Greg Best and Paul Calvert have curated an equally impressive wine and cocktail menu. Make reservations here.
- Junior’s in Summerhill has some great specials for July. The pizza joint is offering “The Fresh Prince” (pictured below) in regular, vegetarian, and vegan variations. In addition, Junior’s is featuring lunch specials Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Guests can choose from two one-topping slices and a soda for $8.50 or one one-topping slice, salad, and soda for $10.25. Guests are invited back on Tuesday evenings for trivia starting at 7 p.m.
- Big Softie brings a taste of summer to Summerhill with peach sorbet, its July flavor of the month (pictured below). The ice cream shop’s soft serve is made with the best ingredients, including local Georgia dairy products and organic cane sugar.
- On Saturday, July 15, the Summerhill Community Center branch of Chase Bank is hosting a back-to-school family event from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Families are invited to stop by to pick up a free backpack with school supplies and enjoy fun games, activities and entertainment.
- On Saturday, July 22, Organized Neighbors of Summerhill and the Summerhill Neighborhood Development Corporation will host the Summerhill Reunion Unity Festival. A more than 30-year tradition for the neighborhood, the festival will feature local music, food trucks, vendors, activities for kids, and more. The event will be held in Phoenix Park III from 12-8 p.m.